With billions of names and users in the online community, one can easily get lost in the crowd. For businesses, it is easier to not be known than to be seen by its target consumers. If you are an entrepreneur and want to get your name out and introduce yourself to the world, you need to create a brand for yourself. And you need to define your brand and emphasize it in the online universe.
The Internet is a powerful tool to build your identity – your personal and business identity. You must use it wisely and carefully. Personal branding is one way to build customer or client relationships. In the business industry, personal branding is a process of creating an image and name for yourself. However, aside from these facts, creating your personal brand is also a process of knowing yourself more – discovering and recreating your assets and self-worth.
It is easy to ruin your reputation online. But it takes effort and consistency to build up your reputation and integrity (both online and offline). Since the World Wide Web allows you to reach out to prospective clients easily, you need to be careful on how you do the process. How you do it will either build up or struck down your personal brand.
Carefully study the 7 tips to brand yourself online and attract more clients:
1) Evaluate and discover your real self. You have to evaluate your background, knowledge, skills and experience. Discover your real passion and know your strengths. What makes you stand out from the crowd? What do you have that you can offer to people? In order to help you with discovering your real self, ask your closest family and friends how they see you and let them give at least one adjective. Knowing these things would make you move forward on the rest of the process in branding yourself online.
2) Determine your specific niche. After knowing your real self – your skills and what you can offer, determine the group that you would want to target. What is your target market? As much as possible, be very specific. For example, if you are a Yoga Master, then your target can be working women, mothers who just gave birth, women in their 40’s, etc. Be very specific in order to be able to proceed with the next tip.
3) Establish your organization’s tagline or your personal statement. Your tagline should be simple, short and reflect your business identity or your personal character. It is something that would remain in people’s memories and relate with you and your business. Let us use the previous example. If you are a Yoga Master and your target market is the group of working women, then create a tagline or personal statement which will address your market specifically. In this way, your specific niche can personally identify you and can also identify with you.
4) Be authentic in your connections. When establishing your brand online, you would want to connect with people, especially those belonging in your target market. However, do not treat your connections as mere numbers and potential money-making prospects. Instead, create personal connections and establish authentic relationships. Be willing to help and offer your hand when necessary. This creates positivity and builds up trust with your network. No one is going to avail of your product or service without trusting you first.
5) Be consistent in your identity online and offline. When creating online profiles, make sure that you are honest and consistent with your business identity. If you are building yourself up as a spiritual coach, then your profile and your posts should be consistent to what you are teaching and coaching your clients. Your behavior offline should also reflect your business image. Your online posts can easily make or break your reputation online, as well as offline. If you want people to see yourself with the brand you are building for yourself, then be consistent.
6) Always maintain Email and Phone etiquette. When writing emails or calling clients, make sure to practice professionalism. Always be respectful and remember all the necessary communication etiquette. Use proper language – meaning, do not use foul or offensive language. Be tactful and always remember that you are the one serving your client and not the other way around. Professionalism and proper etiquette would always stick in people’s minds, and so are negative vibrations and ugly personality. It is your choice on what you want people to remember you.
7) Share your story. Branding yourself online can be done in many alternative ways. However, the most effective and powerful tip is when you share your own story. Sharing your story means you are opening yourself up to people. When you share a part of yourself, you are exposing your humanity and your weakness. But at the same time, you are being honest. People trust those who are honest. Knowing a part of you will make you seem familiar to them. This builds up trust and, at the same time, create the brand you want to have for yourself through the story you are telling. You do not need to tell everyone everything. Share only those things worth sharing, without letting people invade your personal space and privacy.
Branding yourself is a way of making yourself stand out from the rest. No one is exactly like you – that is a given. But you need to emphasize what makes you different and what can you give that others in your industry cannot. Your brand is what people will remember and patronize. Branding yourself online will create your online business and media personality. Make sure you do it right.